Our Independence day is September 16, and for this day we celebrate a lot!! With good food, drinks, music, fireworks and all the trimmings!!!
5 de Mayo is the date that Mexico won a battle over France because the French were trying to dominate our country, that was not the only problem Mexico and France had, before winning the battle of 5 de Mayo, there was the "Cake War", a battle that it suppose started because some people that work for the President Santa Ana, went to a French restaurant and ate some cakes and leave the restaurant without paying the bill, this sounds not enough for me to start a battle, but who knows what other interests or causes were the reasons to started this.
o.k. less talk more action, the next recipe is one of my favorite dishes and is has the colors of the Mexican flag and it remain me my country a lot, it is delicious!!! I hope you enjoy it as my and my family do.
* 1 lb flank steak
* 1 white onion cut in quarter
* 1 tbs fine sea salt
* 2-3 cloves
* 2-3 corn peppers
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 tbs distilled white vinegar
* 6 key limes (juice)
* 1 tbs dried Mexican Oregano
* 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
* 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
PICO DE GALLO
* 2 Large tomatoes
* 1 small onion
* 1 bunch of chopped cilantro
* 2-3 Serrano peppers
1) Cook the beef in a slow cooker overnight with all the ingredients for the beef.
2) When the meat is soft, let it cool; an pulled it apart.
3) Cut the tomatoes and the onion in julienne.
4) Mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set it a side.
5) Assembly putting the pulled beef, the vinaigrette and the pico de gallo; tossed them and season with salt.
My mouth is watering I better go and prepare some for this Salpicon!!